2 January 2012

REVIEW: STOLEN AWAY

Stolen Away
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Series: No, standalone
UK Publisher: Bloomsbury
UK Release date: 5th January 2012
Genre: Faery, YA
Kindly given by the publisher for an honest review

For seventeen years, Eloise Hart had no idea the world of Faery even existed. Now she has been abducted and trapped in the Rath of Lord Strahan, King of Faery. Strahan was only meant to rule for seven years, as Faery tradition dictates, and then give up his crown to another. But he won't comply, and now chaos threatens both worlds.

The only one who can break his stranglehold on the Faery court is his wife. . . Eloise's aunt Antonia. Using Eloise to lure Antonia, Strahan captures his wife, desperate to end the only threat to his reign. Now Eloise must become the rescuer. Together with her best friends Jo and Devin, she must forge alliances with other Fae, including a gorgeous protector named Lucas, and Strahan's mysterious son, Eldric-who may or may not betray them.


Review: When Stolen Away landed on my doormat I was first taken by the stunning cover. Then I read the blurb: "Anyone who has swooned over David Bowie in Labyrinth, Viggo Mortensen in Lord of the Rings or Tom Cruise in Legend will love the heroes and villains in this book". And I knew I would have to read this one straight away.

The story was told from the dual narrative of Eloise and Jo, best friends but very different characters. I wasn't expecting this and found it a little surprising, but I did like both of them but for different reasons: Eloise is down to earth, into rockabilly, and learning to stand up for herself, whilst extrovert and flirty Jo finds herself falling for one mysterious guy. I think my favourite was Jo's narrative because it was filled with heart-quickening seduction and some steamy chemistry. The fact that Jo and Eldric's relationship was forbidden only made their meetings even hotter! Jo's friendship with the little fairy was also really sweet and I liked the two of them paired together, being both sassy and caring towards each other.

In terms of the plot, it was fairly simple but still intriguing with twists and mystery strewn in. When the book finished I was disappointed, because I wanted to read more and see what else might happen.

One thing I couldn't fail to notice was how captivating the faery world was. Every sense was appealed to; colours dazzled, sounds floated on the air...well, you get the picture. This sensory style of writing really brought the strange world to life and made it feel so magical. The fact that this is juxtaposed against the constant threat of Lord Strahan and the Cold Ladies, also made the Faery world feel foreign and dangerous.

Stolen Away is a quick, light, easy read that captivates your mind, quickens your pulse and enchants your senses. Look out for this one in January!

Rating: 4*

2 comments:

Jamie Gibbs said...

The faery romance aspects aren't my cup of tea, but Labyrinth era David Bowie is awesome, so I give it a thumbs up. Thanks for the review!

serendipity_viv said...

I can't wait to read this one!