4 January 2012

REVIEW: FRACTURE

Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda
Series: No, standalone
UK Publisher: Bloomsbury
UK Release date: 5th January 2012
Genre: YA
Kindly given by the publisher for an honest review

Eleven minutes might as well be eternity underwater. It only takes three minutes without air for loss of consciousness. Permanent brain damage begins at four minutes. And then, when the oxygen runs out, full cardiac arrest occurs. Death is possible at five minutes. Probable at seven. Definite at ten. Delaney Maxwell was underwater for eleven minutes. And she’s alive.

Review: I just loved Fracture and couldn’t put it down - so much so that I read it in one day despite working a full 8 hours, because I couldn’t go to sleep without finishing it. There's something about a good book that actually makes it hard for me to write a review, because I don't scrutinise the plot or characters or wonder what's going on; I just get drawn straight in and plough my way through the story. But I do love finding books like Fracture that just work, that seem to be written so naturally and fluidly it’s as if the book has been plucked straight from the author’s (or even character's) head. And I was completely caught up in Delaney’s ‘return’ to life and miraculous survival.

The plot and characters really kept me engaged and on my toes, as the story turned and twisted with suspense and intrigue. Delaney's persistence to prove that you could make a difference to other people's lives really endearing and the different relationships she had with Decker and Troy was fascinating; the first being the neighbour and best of friends, and the latter being mysterious guy in town who shared something so unusual and personal with Delaney.

For me, what really makes a story and its characters are the little details. In Fracture, these very typical, normal behaviours and thoughts added real human touches and made Delaney feel so natural and genuine to me. Her thoughts and questions about life and death were natural for her situation, but as a reader they also made me think about what I would do if I had one day left to live, and the unfairness of why some people die young, some survive and others live long into old age. Despite having a paranormal element the story felt so realistic, weaving Delaney's gift seamlessly into the other worrisome areas of her teenage life.

Blending paranormal elements with romance, mystery and intriguing characters, Megan Miranda really nailed her debut novel. I can't wait to see what she produces next. As a start to 2012 releases, it couldn't be better!

Rating: 5*

Find out more about Megan on Twitter or her webpage. There will also be exciting competitions and news on the Fracture Facebook page throughout January. Make sure you ‘like’ it to keep up-to-date.

And if you can't get enough, here is the trailer...

4 comments:

Cristina said...

oh, I've been curious about this book and you totally just convinced me to read it :)
awesome review

Kelsey said...

Now I have to read this.

Jamie Gibbs said...

That's a hell of a premise, and it has the best book blurb I've read for a while. Sounds like an awesome read!

tthepageturner said...

I haven't had much look with fae books, but this sounds promising! Great review. =)