17 February 2011

NEWS, UPDATES AND RANDOM BITS

Firstly, I thought I'd highlight an exhibition on at London's British Library, called Evolving English, which is free and running until 3rd April 2011. My tutor at the London School of Publishing has mentioned it several times, so thought I would pass it on. Here's the blurb:


In this ground-breaking exhibition, the roots of Old English, slang dictionaries, medieval manuscripts, advertisements and newspapers from around the world come together - alongside everyday texts and dialect sound recordings. Follow the social, cultural and historical influences on the English language... and see how it’s still evolving today.

Secondly, I just wanted to ramble on about a few random things, so apologies! .... I have finally finished Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's taken me a full two weeks solid to finish it. Purely because it is so long, with teeny tiny letters!

I've now got really behind on other books, reviews and articles I should be writing. Thankfully I have next week off work, so I can refocus myself and hopefully get some work done.... by which I mean, do some work that isn't my job work!

So I was wondering, have you ever been defeated by a book that you just couldn't finish?

3 comments:

Heather said...

There have been a few books that I've had to set aside because I just couldn't finish reading them. It's rare but ti does happen. Congrats on getting through yours!

Jamie Gibbs said...

It's happened a few times that I've just not been able to finish a book, and I've felt pretty bad after it (how dare I be outwitted by a hunk of paper!) so these days I try to finish a book no matter what.

Thanks for the heads up on the exhibition. I'm in London next weekend so I may pop in if I get the time (in between a British Museum conference and the Steven Erikson signing at Forbidden Planet!)

Buffy said...

Love this exhibit. They have a good bit of it online as well.