6 June 2012

REVIEW: UNRAVELLING

Author: Elizabeth Norris
Series: Yes, #1
UK Publisher: Harper Collins
UK Release date: 7th June 2012
Genre: YA sci-fi
Kindly given by the publisher for an honest review

17 year old Janelle Tenner is hit by a truck. And she dies. But when she is mysteriously brought back to life, she can't help but wonder why. And how. As she starts following her father's FBI case, she starts seeing how her 'death' might fit into a huge threat to end the world.

I found Unravelling so gripping, each chapter counting down to some unknown and mysterious apocalypse. There were lots of little clues to figure, and it was like putting together and solve a puzzle. Think X-Files and you won't go far wrong.

What really brought the story to life for me was how many little details were used to describe the characters' pasts. Little stories about things that happened to the Tenner family made them all seem so real and alive, with pasts and histories that explained why they were the way they were and made me feel like I knew intimate details of their lives. I knew their quirks, their faults, their strengths and the way these memories were written in made the story feel so whole and intimate.

Janelle was such a strong character. She's had to cope with her mum's depression, look after her younger brother Jared and stay ahead in school. The way she has protected her brother without even thinking twice is admirable. She did play at detective, but I could see the draw of putting together the clues. Further into the story this became even more personal and important to Janelle. Her determination even when her life was turned upside was unstoppable and I respected her so much.

I was a big fan of Ben, surrounded by mystery and defying expectations at every turn. He was smart, caring, broody, and there was something naturally appealing about him.

I always say this, but I love gutsy authors that kill off key people (I'm not telling who, promise). It made Unravelling such a tumultuous, intense and emotional story. It really had me by the heart strings and made me shed more than several tears.

There is so much more that I want to tell you about this book, but I don't want to ruin your experience reading it. So all I can say is please read this. If you like science fiction, investigations and intrigue, please please read it!

Rating: 5*

1 comment:

Leanna Elle said...

I've heard so many good things about this one. In fact, I don't think I've read one bad review! Need to read it myself soon! :)